Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Rare Photo of Elvis ;-)


A pound of bacon for breakfast? Peanut butter and banana sandwiches? I wonder if Elvis would eat pizza. I suppose he would and he did but did we ever hear about it? Was the most photographed man in the world during his lifetime ever get photographed picking up a Shakey's and walking out? One of my favorite songs by Elvis was called: It's Now or Never. Huge vocals over an enormous range that only few singers could handle.
Sheri & I were in Venice, Italy going on a gondola ride of the canals when the gondolier from another boat started singing and it echoed across the water and through the narrow chasms of centuries-old, weather worn buildings. Immediately I recognized the melody. It was an Elvis song called 'It's Now or Never' except that it was in Italian? Then it dawned on me, O sole Mio was the actual name and the melody belonged to the Italians, not Elvis. Lucianno Pavarotti would sing it the correct way of course but I gotta hand it to The King, I thought he did a great American version of it.
Above is probably the only photo ever taken of the King eating pizza while singing It's Now or Never. It looks like a New York style to me with pepperoni.
I expect he probably would knock down a couple of these before or during a performance based on the size of the man's waistline and chubby cheeks.
Hey, if the King can eat pizza so can I. Of course I would need to put on my full Elvis jumpsuit, the rings, the rubber wig and sunglasses, not to mention the 70's style boots that he wore with the pointed toe that zip half way up the ankle.
Yeah, I think everyone should do it that way at least once in their lifetime. And while we're at it, guys get your woman an Elvis jumpsuit they can call their own. I'm talking beads and gems and sharp 70's styling with the high collar and the open front. Don't forget the cape and be sure to learn how to do that famous snarl too. Let's go to an Elvis festival somewhere and chow down on some carnival pizza!

Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never Lyrics

It's now or never,

come hold me tight

Kiss me my darling,

be mine tonight

Tomorrow will be too late,

it's now or never

My love won't wait.

When I first saw you

with your smile so tender

My heart was captured,

my soul surrendered

I'd spend a lifetime

waiting for the right time

Now that your near

the time is here at last.

It's now or never,

come hold me tight

Kiss me my darling,

be mine tonight

Tomorrow will be too late,

it's now or never

My love won't wait.

Just like a willow,

we would cry an ocean

If we lost true love

and sweet devotion

Your lips excite me,

let your arms invite me

For who knows when

we'll meet again this way

It's now or never,

come hold me tight

Kiss me my darling,

be mine tonight

Tomorrow will be too late,

it's now or never

My love won't wait.

1 comment:

  1. What can I say to defend my fashion sense? When you receive an Elvis jumpsuit for a Christmas present, I guess you just have to wear it. I told Vince since we were at a festival in Canada and no one I knew would ever see me.... so when in Rome, do as the ..... Most of the people at the festival were 20-25 years older than me and they thought I looked cute!

    ReplyDelete